Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 15:01:36 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Serial # 19781010 <willie@abs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 to 4.0 Stable

[Trimmed -stable from the reply list.]

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 05:53:02PM -0400, Serial # 19781010 wrote:
> I have a box running 2.2.8 release and I need to get it to 4.0 What is
> the best way to accomplish this via cvsup??

The best answer is don't do that.

If you really really want to, you should be able to upgrade to 3.0 with
a make upgrade (a fairly scarry, but effective target), then upgrade to
3.4-STABLE via an normal make world (I'm not sure, you may want to
upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 first), then upgrade to 4.0-RELEASE following
the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING, and finaly upgrading to
4.0-STABLE using a standard make world.  This will likely require in
excess of 24 hours of CPU time just to do the builds.

You don't want to do this!  Foot shooting opportunities exist all over
the place.  You'll need to read the -stable archives for the months
surrounding each of those upgrades to get a handle on all of them.  This
is definalty a good time for a backup and clean install.

-- Brooks