Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:37:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
Cc:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@noc.dfn.de>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option NFS -- why would I want it?

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Scot Elliott wrote:

> The kernel loads the NFS module the first time you use an NFS mount etc.
> Try the modstat command and it should show up.  You might prefer to do
> this if you don't use NFS very often I suppose.  I think compiling it into
> the kernel is probably prefered for security reasons... is someone manages
> to change an LKM you're in trouble.  But changing the kernel needs a whole
> reboot, which you'd notice (I hope).

The main reason I statically compile NFS in is the sysctl stats --
apparently kernel modules cannot register to provide statistics through
that interface, so things like nfsstat don't work.  The response to my -pr
was that the lkm interface needed a re-design, so I suspect it isn't going
to be fixed too soon :).

With regards to the LKMs -- also, at high securelevels, you cannot install
new LKMs, so if you are using a variable-securelevel installation, you
either need to make sure that the LKM is installed at a low securelevel,
or statically compile.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/