Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:07:48 +0100
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Alexander Batzios <alex_b@MailAndNews.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JBuilder, Linux Compatibility

On Monday 27 November 2000 06:43, Alexander Batzios wrote:
> Hi all. I've just had to go to Linsux, uhm, Linux due to some compatibility
> issues. I've tried mandrake and redhat but it seems they are too unstable
> to use.
>
> I'm thinking of going back to freebsd but there are certain issues that
> concern me.
> 1) I need to do some serious software development with JBuilder. I've only
> seen JBuilder and Java for Linux. Is there a chance they'll run on FreeBSD?

No idea but there is generic support for java.

Port:   jdk-1.1.8
Info:   Sun's Java Developers Kit
Maint:  nate@FreeBSD.org - maybe this guy can help you more

> Do I have to use some sort of linux emulation? If yes, how fast and
> reliable is it?

Probably, reasonably,quite.

> 2) How good is KDE 2 support in FreeBSD 2?

/usr/ports/x11/kde2    Well I use it and it mostly works and I am mostly
happy with it

> 3) I am using a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. Is FreeBSD compatible with that?

Greg Lehey has got one...so it probably works

Hope that is of some use.