Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2018 21:46:54 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@nethead.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:51:54 +0100, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> On 02/16/18 10:47, Polytropon wrote:
> > Did anyone succeed in transfering files _from_ an iPad _to_
> > a FreeBSD machine using the USB cable? The setting where this
> > should work consists of a FreeBSD 10.3-p24 (32 bit) and an
> > iPad 32 GB with iOS 11.0.3 15A432.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I got curious when I read this and tried myself on a fairly recent
> 11-STABLE amd64 system.
>
> I can report that I successfully have accessed an iPhone 5SE and is able
> to transfer images from it. This was done with fusefs-ifuse and
> libimobiledevice.
>
> idevicepair pair (with screen unlocked)
> kldload fuse
> ifuse -d -u <40 digit id> /mnt
>
> Don't know what is different with your system though, but at least there
> is proof that it *can* work.

Cool! Maybe I need to update to FreeBSD 11... however, I have
installed the latest packages via pkg, and I assume (!) the
USB stack and libraries are the same, but I don't really know.
Maybe this is the problem...

On the other hand, maybe iOS on iPad and iOS on iPhone behave
differently when presented with the same external situation?
This is all black boxes. You'll never know.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany