Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:36:08 -0400
From:      Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Harddrive powerdowns

I have an IDE harddrive in a FreeBSD machine, and would like to enable
power down for it.  In the BIOS I can set the time, and it will power down
when in BSD, but, when I use the HD, causing the HD to spin up, I get one
or two interrupt time outs on the wd0 device.

Is this safe?  Will these timeouts ever cause corruption?  Can FreeBSD it's
power down the HD, and recognize the HD is down, and wait longer for
spinning up?  What is the best solution to get my HD to spin down?

BTW, I do not want any other power management on the machine.

Thanks

Michael