Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:36:21 -0400
From:      exidor@nimbus.superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 8 character login limit?!

Marc Slemko writes:
> No, in all other cases it can be defined by looking at an existing define,
> most likely UT_NAMESIZE.  No need to do any FreeBSD specific defines since
> the problem (and solution) isn't FreeBSD specific.

Which means a lot of stuff won't built "out of the box".  Sure, I can
track down the buffer a program is trying to strcpy() a user name
into, but a lot of people don't have the knowledge, desire, or
resources do to that.  They'll get the impression that FreeBSD is
difficult to port to, and they'll end up using Linux.

If someone wants longer user names and is willing to be the guinea pig
system, they can change those "couple of lines" and see what breaks.
But I think there are more important things for the FreeBSD team to be
working on.
--
 / Christopher Masto \   /   Superior Net Services  \   / Your vote counts  \
| exidor@superior.net | | $24.95/month unlimited use | | Support free speech |