Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:13:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Beware of UnixWare 7

Those of you who were at Usenix may have picked up a free copy of a
UnixWare 7 CD-ROM from SCO.  If so, be careful when installing it.  I
tried installing it on a machine with two other systems installed.  It
failed to install (looped trying to install drivers it didn't need).
When I rebooted, I found that it had overwritten the Master Boot
Record (which is silly, since it knew there were two other systems on
the disk), and it also rewrote the partition table: it changed the
numbers of the partitions.  This is particularly difficult for
FreeBSD, which has the partition number explicitly in the device name.
In my case, FreeBSD was on partition 2, devices /dev/rwd0s2a and
/dev/rwd0s2e.  It was moved to partition 3, so the device names
changed to devices /dev/rwd0s3a and /dev/rwd0s3e.  Since I didn't have
device nodes for these devices, I was unable to remount the root file
system, and I had to use the fixit floppy to rewrite the partition
table.  Nothing got lost, but it was a real pain.

Greg