Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:57:12 -0500
From:      carmel_ny <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /etc/fstab + embedded spaces

I was attempting to create this entry in the /etc/fstab file. It is to
a WinXP machine.

//user@bios/My Documents /laptop smbfs rw,noauto  0  0

It fails because 'fstab' does not allow embedded spaces in device
names, not does it allow enclosing the name in quotes.

I did some Googling and discovered that I am not the only one annoyed
by this behavior. I discovered this patch that had been submitted awhile
ago.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2007-October/026469.html

Changing the share name is not really an option. Is there some way of
making this work in 'fstab'? I can use the name including spaces in
'mount_smbfs' so that is how I am currently mounting the share. It just
seems strange that 'fstab' by not accepting the use of quoting is not in
step with how FreeBSD usually operates.

--

Carmel
carmel_ny@hotmail.com

It is much easier to suggest solutions
when you know nothing about the problem.