Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 1996 10:53:10 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapi

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Frank Varnell wrote:
>
> > I have been unable to install freebsd on my new computer.
> > I have a Compaq 133Mhz Presario #4706. It has 2.5MB hard disk and
> > an 8x IDE CDROM (I don't know which brand).Also has Windows95.
> > I bought the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 Aug '96 release. It didn't have
> > the ATAPI.flp files mentioned in the book. So, I went back to the
> > 2.1 release which I had successfully installed on another
> > machine (dell w/ atapi).
> There is no atapi.flp in 2.1.5R because with this release the ATAPI
> support is built into the standard install floppy. You can use it just
> the same.
>
> > One of the reasons I bought this machine was that I thought a popular,
> > mainstream machine would make an easy BSD install.

Compaq has never been a "mainstream machine" as far as (hardware)
compatability is concerned.  I have worked on these (*^^%))$%^(&^% for
years, and they have some great features... esp. if your a dealer.
($$$$$).  Woe to the end user who wants to run something other than
 MS-DOG/WINDOZE or WINDOZE95.
  The "standard answer" when trying to use a presario on a _REAL_
network is...  "We don't support the presario on that network."
 Call em, tell them you want to put it on a Novell, UNIX, Banyan, or
other similar network... See if I'm right on this  :-)

My best suggestion is gather all the hardware info you can, and
try, try, try...   If you purchased from a really good dealer, maybe he
will take it back... If so, box it up, and get thee a clone.

I do wish you luck, and if you manage to get it going, please write a
 howto or FAQ for others...

Sincerely,

Blaine Minazzi