Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2003 17:26:19 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Stability

Hi.

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 11:16:57AM -0500, David Magda wrote:
> You would be stuck using an old kernel- and user-land however. If
> there is only one open port to the outside world, and you make sure
> that program is secure then it should not be a problem.

If there's no problem related to the network stack.
If you don't use the resolver.
If you don't have local users.

For things like NTP or single daemons from the world you still can
update parts of the system. What I wanted to show is, that even if you
have just one open port this doesn't in all cases mean you are safe as
long as this one daemon is safe.

- Olli

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |