Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:20:22 -0700
From:      "Zeke gomez" <zgomez@cox.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can you help us run a DALnet IRC Server?

Dear Sir or Madam,
We would like you to help sponser us and run an IRC Server for linking to
the DALnet IRC Network, if you can provide us with what we need, please
reply
heres what we need:

A machine with a MINIMUM of a Pentium III 500mhz with 256MB RAM.
The machine should have a MINIMUM 1GB hard drive.

We would prefer a machine that runs FreeBSD as the OS.

The machine must be dedicated to running the IRC Server. This means that it
cannot be running anything other than essential OS Processes needed by the
IRC erver or needed to secure the machine. In addition to this, you are
required to run (preferably on another machine) a secure version of named as
a resolver.  DALnet recommends bind.  See http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/
for more information.

You are also required to run a time sync program.  We currently prefer using
a ntpdate crontab.  For more information, see
http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/NTP/Version3/ntpdate.html

The server must be on a network that is multihomed, which means either:

    - it is located on a network with connectivity to the Internet (minimum
      of 45Mbit/s) to two or more uplink providers; OR

    - it is located in a datacenter of a network operator with multiple
      links (as defined above) to that network operator's backbone

    The connectivity should be a minimum of a DS3/T3 (45Mbit/s)
    to more than one uplink/transit provider, or two such links to the same
    uplink/transit provider.