Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:00:07 +0400
From:      "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "hermann samso" <so_o2@lycos.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Nicola Vitale <nivit@email.it>
Subject:   Re: ja6, xmus, xcoor compiled for FreeBSD 6.1

>    Sources won't be available,
>    but the binaries work very
>    well.
>
>    You can download Ja6, xmus
>    and xcoor at:
>
>    http://so_o2.tripod.com/
>
>    But I include them also as
>    attachment in this e-mail.

That's great news, thanks! The problem is that our ABI
changes with each major release. While there are
compatibility layers which enable us to run 4.x and 5.x
binaries on FreeBSD 6.x, there's no way to run 6.x
binaries on older systems.

Yes, most of our desktop users have already upgraded
to 6.x, but we still support 4.x and 5.x and I just can't
mark the port unavailable for that platforms.

A solution would be to compile the program on each
FreeBSD version, but that's a chore. You could also
compile it on 4.x, but then users of 5.x and 6.x would
not be able to run it without compatibility layers (which
are present by default right now, but are hard to detect
automatically).

Anyway we'll think about how to use the new binary.

Thanks!