Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:16:39 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgraph TCP/IP

+---- Archie Cobbs wrote:
| Are you intending to have this hook into the normal FreeBSD TCP/IP
| stack or be truly standalone? I read your question as the latter but
| others seem to read it as the former.

I am very much a babe in the woods at this point.  I have no plan aside
from reading as much as possible.  My original idea was for it to be
completely separate, so individual nodes could be replaced easily to
try new algorithms.  The subsequent discussion has been valuable
nonetheless, and my plans certainly aren't written in stone.

| If the latter, I'd suggest splitting it up into several netgraph
| nodes, eg.:

| 	| | |      | | |
|         ng_udp    ng_tcp
|            \       /
| 	    \     /
| 	     ng_ip
| 	     ng_arp
| 	    ng_ether

That was how I pictured it as well (well before your diagram got munged
by my editor that is) - thanks :)

--
Steve Tremblett