Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 10:52:05 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

Pedro F. Giffuni said on May 28, 2001 at 01:46:04:
> I think Jordan's article holds the key to this situation. Apple might
> be the David that is required to take the desktop out from Microsoft's
> field and hopefully also will take us to a better league. FWIW, I also
> think Apple has a good chance now that MS is screwing up with their
> .net strategy.

All I really want is an open standard.  I don't mind people sending me
postscript or pdf generated from MS word; but if they're going to send
me .doc files, I want the format to be well documented by Microsoft,
so that I can convert it to whatever format I want.  If everyone
including Microsoft switched to some XML thing and agreed on some
common standards for it, I really wouldn't care if 99% of the world
continued to use Microsoft...  In the absence of Microsoft taking the
lead, it would be nice if the remaining word processor people, at
least -- Applix, Corel, Staroffice/Sun, KDE, Abisource etc -- got
together and hammered out something, and implemented it themselves.
(Ditto for spreadsheets, presentations, etc, which I don't really deal
with.)