Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 18:19:47 +0100
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hw.vga.textmode=1 and the installation media

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 11:58, Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net> =
wrote:
>=20
> Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> would be really nice if the 11.2 and subsequent versions would come =
with the hw.vga.textmode=3D1 as the default in the installation media. =
Because you know, there's a problem with some vendors (like HP) who's =
servers are incapable of showing graphics in IPMI with the default =
hw.vga.textmode=3D0 (yeah, I'm aware that most of the vendors don't have =
this issue), and there's still a bug that prevents this from being set =
from a loader prompt - USB keyboard doesn't work at least in 11.0 there =
(seems to be some sort of FreeBSD "holy cow", along with sshd starting =
last, after all the local daemons. I would ask again to fix the latter =
as I did last years, but it really seems to be a cornerstone which the =
FreeBSD is built upon).
>=20
> Yeah the USB 'bug' has been there since FreeBSD 7/8.x I have a couple =
of loader command that make it work again... will let you know later =
when my container arrives (next week) as the details are stored on the =
HP blades (being transported.)  It also breaks most/all of the Softlayer =
consoles since 8.3(ish) - didn't manage to completely fix this as had no =
bios access to ensure the USB is in the correct mode.

Is there some way the loader could detect such systems and enable =
textmode for them?

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."