Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 1995 20:50:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        CMARCH@delphi.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Release 1.1.5.1

On Sat, 11 Mar 1995 CMARCH@delphi.com wrote:

> This will probably seem like an extraordinarily obvious questions, but
>
> nonetheless:  In order to have a fully functional copy of FreeBSD R1.1.5.1,
>
> which particular files do I need to FTP from FreeBSD.cdrom.com?  I've been
>
> trying for the last little while to find the right files to take, but have
>
> failed miserably :-(

That's probably due to the fact that the files aren't there to find in
the first place.  You might remember some of the brouhaha that Novell
raised with UC Berkeley over the 4.4 BSD release, last year?  Well, as
part of the settlement, Walnut Creek, which runs FreeBSD.cdrom.com (and
does it free for us as a service to the FreeBSD community!) is not
allowed to distribute versions of FreeBSD that were derived from the
original 4.4BSD release, as 1.1.5.1 was.  The fully blessed release,
known as 4.4 BSD-Lite, is the basis for the new generations of FreeBSD,
beginning at version 2.0, is available at FreeBSD.cdrom.com.

There are lots of sites around that still have copies of the 1.1.5.1
release...I think world.std.com is one.

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!