Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 17:48:35 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Port dependencies revisited

(Sorry if I'm chewing on old stuff here, just tell me and I'll stop.)

Having ported a few apps that require x11 stuff (kvirc - requires kdelibs,
nessus - requires gtk), I noticed a slight problem in the ports system:
Lots of ports require specific packages, mostly the latest versions. Now,
wouldn't we be better off being able to specify alternative dependencies?

Like say, my kvirc port requires kdelibs11, but can really do with kdelibs
(the 1.0 thing). A user can have several reasons to not always have the
latest versions of the dependencies installed:

- Limited bandwidth

Upgrading dependencies costs bandwidth.

- Limitied time

Upgrading dependencies takes time.

- Limited resources

Upgrading dependencies costs resources on the systems involved.

- Stability, correctness

Newer versions of the packages depended on might not be as stable, and
might not actually work at all as of backward compatibility problems.
Newer code isn't necessarily better. ,)

In other words, what I suggest is and'ing and or'ing between LIB_DEPENDS,
BUILD_DEPENDS and RUN_DEPENDS (etc.) to specify all possible combinations
of dependencies that will do. Does this seem feasible or even sensible to
you in any way?

--
Anders Nordby ^ anders@fix.no ^ http://anders.fix.no/