Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:07:20 +0300
From:      "Alexey V. Neyman" <alex.neyman@auriga.ru>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

On 31 January 2002 15:18, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> [1] And anyway, do we really want to clutter the serial file with CVS
>     revision Id, which may cause confusion?  Certainly, we won't be
>     allowing manual commits to this file!

Please explain the behavior of this serial number at the time
- when a minor release (like 4.5) is branched from -stable branch
- when -current branch becomes -stable (branching 6.0-current)

I really hope these serial numbers won't be interleaved (like #1 being
related to -current, #2 to -stable and #3 again to -current)

I'd suggest that every time a commit to src/ is made, this file would
be checked out for appropriate branch (if it exists on that branch, of
course - I doubt there's need of this file for NETGRAPH branch :-),
incremented and checked-in. This way it will still have revision id,
but the numbering of changes is quite simple - at every branchpoint all
branches inherit the serial number.

Regards,
Alexey.

--
 ) May the Sun and Water (   Regards, Alexey V. Neyman