Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:55:34 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Motherboard & ChipSet pointers?

I'm looking to build out another FreeBSD box, with an emphasis on bang
per buck. So I'm planning on going Cyrix-P166+, rather than Intel...
The Cyrix-P200+ seems like more bang for a *lot* more bucks at this time.
If I'm outta line on this, feel free to clue me in.

In the past, folks here have spoken highly of Asus and Tyan
motherboards; I've been surfing their webs trying to determine which
product from each has what features. Any recommendations on either?
Dual CPU support might be of interest if the incremental cost is
small, but I understand Cyrix doesn't yet operate in a dual mode. Any
other motherboard brands I should consider? Reliability and
performance are key.

I'm ignorant of which chipset does what, and what is desirable for
FreeBSD. E.g., What's the Intel HX and VX do, and which should I
prefer?  What's flavor of the month?

If you've got resource pointers so I can come up to speed on this, I'd
appreciate it. There's a Ham-fest this weekend and I'd like to go into
it more knowledgeable than I am now :-)

Thanks.