Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:23:36 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Dmitry Sivachenko <demon@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Afterstep port

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Drew Sanford wrote:
>
> > Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Is there any sense to keep x11-wm/afterstep port?
> > > It represents an old 1.0 version, while the latest stable version is 1.8.4
> > > (afterstep-stable port).
> > >
> > > If there will be no objections, I propose to remove x11-wm/afterstep
> > > and to repo-copy afterstep-stable -> afterstep.
> >
> > I personally think this is a bad idea, unless you plan to keep an
> > afterstep 1.0 port somewhere. Its a simple, lightweight, very functional
> > manager. Not being able to simply type 'make install' to add it to a new
> > machine would severely increase the amount of typing I have to do to set
> > up a new machine:)
>
> Hmm, what's wrong with afterstep-stable? Does it require any additional tweaking
> to be usable comparing with afterstep-1.0?
>
> -Maxim

I believe that the new versions of afterstep have their configureation
spread across multiple files. Version 1.0 only used one config file
(~/.steprc). I only have to look in one place to edit a menu, or make a
change, instead of haivng to remember which features are in which files.

--
Drew Sanford
lauasanf@bellsouth.net or drew@planetwe.com