Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:40:34 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ep0 driver oddity

I broke out a really old card to make a cheap solution work, and
now I'm confused.  It's an old 3c509 ISA card, which has been set
to 0x300, irq 5.  Those don't conflict, so no issue there.

Building a kernel with "device ep0" found it, but didn't like it
because it wasn't at the default IRQ 10.  So, I rebuilt a kernel
with

device          ep0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 5

Here's where my confusion came in, I get this in dmesg:

ep0 at port 0x300 irq 5 on isa0
ep0: Ethernet address 00:20:af:6a:d8:d6
ep1: <3Com 3C509-TP EtherLink III> at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
ep1: No irq?!
ep1: ep_alloc() failed! (6)
device_probe_and_attach: ep1 attach returned 6

ep0 seems to work ok, and there is no ep1.  I'm not sure why it's
auto-looking for an additional card.  If I leave the 0 off:

device	ep	at isa? port 0x300 irq 5

config barfs, even though the default is "device ep".

I get the feeling that if I set this via config I'd be ok, but I don't
have easy access to the console of this particular machine.

I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but how can I set
ep0 in the kernel config and not get an ep1 along with it?
Alternatives (eg, loader.conf or something) would be fine, I know
nothing about that.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org