Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:00:45 +0000
From:      Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: LibreSSL infects ports, causes problems

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 05:53:45PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> Baptiste Daroussin:
>>
>> > Some how you have mixed up things between base openssl and libressl, when
>> > starting to activate libressl if you are using ports only you have to be extra
>> > careful, (same goes with ncurses or ports openssl) just installing those ports
>> > is enough to "pollute" nearly anything you build after with a dependency on it
>> > (well anything that does link to libssl, libcrypto)
>>
>> Well, yes, that's what I said.  It's a bug.
>>
>> > If it very complicated and
>> > error prone to cherry pick "only take base openssl here, only ports openssl
>> > there" the only "safe" way to solve this situation and being consistent is to
>> > always skip the version from base and enforce the version for ports. (the
>> > otherway around is impossible - very complicated)
>>
>> And the addition of LibreSSL as a not-quite-equivalent alternative
>> to ports OpenSSL makes this even more complicated.  You can expect
>> things coming out of OpenBSD (like new versions of net/openntpd)
>> to require LibreSSL, because it includes a new library libtls that
>> doesn't exist in OpenSSL.  In the meantime, LibreSSL has removed
>> some of the more horrific APIs of OpenSSL, which means some ports
>> will not build against LibreSSL as is.  Like python27.  Fixes for
>> these problems can be picked from the OpenBSD ports tree, if we
>> want to.
>>
>> It's kind of hard to fix such problems if there is no clear policy
>> how things are supposed to work in the first place.
>>

> I'm and other are working on a policy about that: always enforce openssl from
> ports with just a flag to say I want openssl or I want libressl but not both,
> would apply to others libs that behave the same way but I have limited time on
> this any one who wants to work on that is welcome :)

I think that we need to build up a team of people who are interested
in making that happen in FreeBSD.

I would be very interested to have a LibreSSL-powered FreeBSD server
for production use at work.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.