Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:12:32 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD removal (was: FreeBSD 6.4 and 8.0 EoLs coming soon)

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:35:01PM +0000, Peter Much wrote:
> Any clues, ideas, pointers, hints, ressources,... are greatly
> welcomed!!

Maybe you don't really want to hear this, but...

ISDN is a dying technology. Any time soon you won't get ISDN termination
by your telecom provider anymore. If at all, theyll deliver S0 in your
home while doing VoIP from that little box on your wall.

You've got 1.5yrs now to change your setup (as I understand we're
talking about a small home setup, nothing very complex) to VoIP. This is
technically not a very complex task and you can even transfer your phone
number. You cannot only have an networked answering machine, but yould
also connect with your notebook or an IP phone from nearly everywhere in
the world. Not only to check your answering machine, but even make or
take calls on your local number when needed.

I did the same step several years ago and I didn't regret it for a
single second.

FreeBSD also offers plenty of VoIP software. So if the services your
VoIP provider offers don't satisfy your needs you can even have your own
complete telephony solution behind it which offers an own answering
machine, selective call forwarding, VPN access, ...

Give it a try first and when you get comfy then switch over and forget
about ISDN at all.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller          http://sysadm.in/         ob@sysadm.in |
|                        Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe. |