Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:58:56 -0600
From:      "Jason Smethers" <jsmethers@pdq.net>
To:        "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ECC worth the extra cost for SOHO server?

From: "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
> Out of curiosity, how does the OS know exactly what event triggered
> the NMI?  I know what an NMI can mean, but I don't know what it
REALLY
> IS, you know what I mean?  The technical answer for exactly what an
> NMI is and what it consists of is welcome.  :-)

I'll take a shot, though it has been a while since I did anything with
interrupts, and this bypasses the explanation of interrupts delivered
by memory instead of hardware...

Basically you have two types of interrupts.

There are Maskable Interrupts such as those delivered by software or
hardware that need servicing but can be ignored, usually once the
request has been accepted. These interrupts can be masked off in the
[A]PIC ([Advanced] Programmable Interrupt Controller) so that further
interrupts are not received until the mask is reset.

Then there are Non-Maskable Interrupts (NMI). These interrupts can not
be ignored and are serviced immediately. The processor usually
receives the interrupt as any other except that a pin on the processor
is asserted to make it a NMI.

- Jason