Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 07:17:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org, jdp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup

> As everyone seems to have missed one of the obvious (and main comments) of my
> original post, let me restate it.
>
> The FreeBSD package (ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/packages-current) requires the
> Modula Package be installed first.  This seems rediculus, as it should be
> statically linked.
>
> I was not asking where the bindist was, I was not asking anything else.  I was
> stating an obvious truth, as I was (At that time) in the middle of building a
> cvsup for myself.  The original post intended to point out a problem, and
> hopefully resolve it before it bit someone else.

 Hmm.. ok... point taken.

 I'm not sure that your idea of statically linking is the solution, but
 its not a bad idea... at least statically linking in the modula
 components.

 Looking at this from a "can do" viewpoint, we know that all the packages
 are built from a "make package" on the ports tree.  Now if a user wants
 to "build" cvsup themselves we can assume that they know what they are
 doing, and want the unstatic version(??).

 But it would be nice if "make package" statically linked in the modula
 library..  Quickly looking at the make package target the only way it
 seems to do this is if the port statically links with the modula bits.

 Might pay to run this past John Polstra (jdp@freebsd.org) and Satoshi
 (asami@freebsd.org) and see what they think, and what their opinions
 are.  (cc'd appropriately)

 Regards,