Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:56:56 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fs fun never stops

Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:

> I see people constantly show panic messages like this but rarely do I
> see someone take the time to match up the instruction pointer with a
> function in the kernel symbol table.
>
> The best way to track down the cause of a panic is by capturing a crash
> dump, then using gdb to to a stack trace on the crash dump. Of course,
> this depends on gdb in -current working correctly, which I can't
> guarantee (I recall somebody saying that the new ELF-ized gdb didn't
> handle kernel crash dumps correctly: somebody should check this before
> 3.0 goes out of beta or there'll be a lot of red faces after the CDs
> ship).
>
> In any case, the method I nornally use is this:

***

Perhaps all this nice posting should go into FAQ with somewhat modified form ?
I can say that all replys I got from Bill are almost anytime very helpful and
I learned a lot of things recently by this way. Can anybody pick it up and
convert into FAQ, please ?
Thanks Bill.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee