Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 02:11:10 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Dmitry Shupilov <root@ns.tb.by>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
Subject:   Re: laptop's modem

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 01:50:45AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Dmitry Shupilov wrote:
> > >   Sorry for non-topic question but HELP me!
> > >   I got laptop Compaq Armada m700 with internal modem Compaq 56K mini
> > >   PCI. After the new install FreeBSD on laptop I cannot dial out -
> > >   system doesn't see the modem. What should I do or where can I find
> > >   some info about it? (On windozz it works on COM4, so I try to trick
> > >   with device sioX but it didn't help).
> >
> > If it's a Rockwell HCF or HSF, there are now Linux drivers whose
> > source code can be downloaded from the Rockwell web site.  From
> > a casual look at them, they seem that they would be pretty easy
> > to port to FreeBSD.
>
> My E700 (I think it has the same mainboard) has the modem recognised
> by the ltmodem (see the ports collection). Unfortunately it does not seem
> to get a /dev entry in devfs (my E700 runs -current).

Do you mean "ltmdm", the Lucent Winmodem driver?

I'm not sure it's the same modem; generally the modems are on a
little daughter card that's pinned out the same for a lot of the
different manufacturers (sometimes by the PC vendor), so that they
can switch vendors.  Last Compaq I looked at has a Rockwell (guess
it's "Conexant" now) HCF... just like my Sony.

The HCF modems are really cheap little buggers; unlike the HSF,
they lack even more on-board intelligence (just when you though
winmodems couldn't get any stupider).

Did your E700 work with -STABLE?  The "ltmdm" thing didn't work
with some Lucent modems, in the same way the binary only Olicomm
driver wroked with HSF, identified HCF as a modem, but then did
not work with it.  I'm pretty sure it's still lying about finding
some modems (but maybe not yours; dpends on your experience with
-stable).

I *hate* winmodems.  8-(.

-- Terry