Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:54:51 -0600
From:      "Mike R. Prevost" <mprevost@ro.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hang on ISA probing and SIG_BUS problems...

Hi.  I'm running FreeBSD-stable (2.1.0) on a Amd486/DX4-100 ISA/PCI machine
with 2940 PCI-SCSI controller and cheapo ISA VGA card.

My problem is that it always (well ALMOST always) hangs when it probes
the ISA bus while booting.  It never displays any other output other than
the message telling me it's probing.  One weird thing is that I can enter -v
at the boot prompt and it works fine.  I have recompiled the kernel with just
the devices I have.

I used to have problems with processes dying with signal 11, but that
turned out to be bad RAM which has been replaced with tested RAM
(according to the FAQ).

However I just experiences some 'random' reboots due to kernel pageing
faults.  Just after that, all my shells died of signal 10's (SIG_BUS).
I'm starting to wonder if I'm having mother board problems.  Actually,
I'm still having some signal 11 problems.

In your experience, are these problems symptomatic of motherboard
problems?

Thanks alot for your contribution to free unixdom.

--- Mike R. Prevost
    mprevost@ro.com