Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:36:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, danj@netcom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 961006-SNAP comments

> > > theoretically to help run / as a readonly partition
> > > on NFS systems or such and
> > > have the 'variable' files on their own partition.
> >
> > just theoretically, since a lot of machine dependant stuff is in /etc.
>
> I'd actually like to do a readonly /, and it looks to me like it
> should be possible:
>
> 1. Symlink those few variable files that are left, e.g. /etc/ntp.drift
> and /etc/ssh_random_seed into /var/run.

have done this for a long time, a shared readonly root for diskless
machines. /var is in a MFS partition.

It works well, but it's a pain at every release to move files and
create symlinks and modify /etc/rc to mount and init /var before
trying to access files. And, as someone noticed, vipw does not like
much this kind of settings.

[I know I should be less lazy and write some script which does the work
for me. :( ]

> 2. Use DEVFS for the devices.

Don't know about devfs, the way I do it now is to build a tar archive
with all the stuff that goes into the writable /var partition, and
extract it at boot time. This includes /var/dev which is pointed
to from /dev.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/