Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:25:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACL's

> There seems to be some contradiction here: you want users without
> extensive security experience and unwilling to look at nightly security
> mailings to know how to partition systems in the manner you describe?

Sysadmins that aren't willing to spend a few seconds a day reading their
nightly security mailings deserve whatever they get.

> Recursive cp?  (The intuitive, simple, *man page recommended* way to copy
> a directory from one hard disk to another?)

Then the man page needs to be fixed to recommend something that actually
works correctly.

> > Uh, I know a lot of admins that I consider 'worth their salt' who don't
> > check link counts (or maybe even notice them in an 'ls -l') before
> > removing a file. I don't think system upgrade scripts do it either.
>
> And "checking" still allows for race conditions.  Especially when
> automated.  And I agree that checking should not be necessary.

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested using 'rm -P' to overwrite
the file's contents.

It seems like it might also be useful to have one or more new options
to rm related to link count checking.  Perhaps one that will only
delete if the link count is 1, otherwise issue an error.  (It can
detect a lost race condition by opening the file, doing the unlink,
then checking the link count on the open fd before closing.)  Or perhaps
an option that will only do the overwrite if the link count was one.
(Otherwise issuing an error.  Force overwrite via the -f option.)

-Pat