Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 06:46:46 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        msmith@freebsd.org
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, haro@tk.kubota.co.jp, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI megapatch

Hi,

> > I prefer previous patch because most of the code in i386/acpi_machdep.c
> > can be shared with IA64 I think.
>
> I'm not so sure about that.  I suspect that the IA64 code is going to be
> using the 'generic address' structures and the x-fields in eg. the FACT.
> It won't be using the bios signature search either, or the int15
> interface.  Realistically, the code in acpi_machdep.c is very simple.a
>
> I also think that if I'm going to continue to use a private identify
> method to attach ACPI (IMO a good idea) then I want to keep its
> implementation as separate from the 'generic' ACPI code as possible.  The
> pmap interface and one checksum routine is all that the current division
> uses, and that's fairly clean.

OK, understood.  How about having MD sub-routine in the same interface
(say acpi_set_resources() or acpi_create_instance() or whatever) for
i386 and ia64?  Then generic ACPI identify method calls suitable
sub-routine depending on machine architecture.

 - i386/i386/acpi_machdep.c
	acpi_set_resources() (ex-acpiprobe_identify())
 - ia64/ia64/acpi_machdep.c
	acpi_set_resources()

 - dev/acpi/acpi.c
	acpi_identify()
		this is quite simple, just do simple error checking and
		call acpi_set_resources() then return.

Is this good for you too?