Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:01:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Dimitry Andric <dim@xs4all.nl>, Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A workaround for the missing __stderrp?

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:20:50PM +0100, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>
> > KK> If it links against 3.x libraries (use 'ldd') then it's a 3.x
> > binary :)
> >
> > Well, the weird thing here is that the missing "__stderrp" seems
> > to come from /usr/lib/libm.so.2, which is NOT a compat library
> > (yet?). For example, when running a certain 3.x executable I get the
> > message:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libm.so.2: Undefined symbol
> > "__stderrp"
> >
> > indicating that the problem lies in libm.so.2, not in my executable
> > per se.
>
> No, this is the same problem because that "missing" symbol is defined
> in the new 3.x libc library. Rebuild with COMPAT3X as instructed and
> it should go away.

Kris, I think, everybody knows what happened already -- and the speed,
with which the helpfull responses arrived is remarkable.

The only argument is, that it was not as obvious as you suggest.
Familiarity with ldd is a notch too much to ask from _an Office user_,
even if she runs FreeBSD. Nothing else pointed to COMPAT3X -- the
standard /usr/lib/libm.so.2 was mentioned; Applix arrived packaged with
FreeBSD-4.1 (without the required GTk, AFAIR).

To be honest, the translation of ldd's output into -- "oh, I need the
COMPAT3X" requires not only knowledge of ldd, but also of FreeBSD
releases :-) Then again, an Office user should track -stable, tempting
though it is... Yours,

	-mi