Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:42:23 -0500
From:      John Holland <jholland@vin-dit.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ttys not working from xdm

I have a new install of 10.1 and I am unable to access ttys from xdm. When I press Alt-F3 or Ctrl-Alt-F3 instead it causes either the mouse, keyboard or entire X session to lock up. Here is the section of my /etc/ttys - any advice on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
# Serial terminals

--
John Holland
jholland@vin-dit.org