Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 12:15:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Better education re GPL needed

Just a sudden thought:  Why do so many developers who are FreeBSD-friendly
release code under the GPL?  I realised that I had been noticing this lately
while I was looking at the technical info pages of the by now well-known
ftpsearch engine in Norway - they run their service on FreeBSD CURRENT,
which means that they _probably_ also develop on FreeBSD, and yet their
code is GPL.

Might it not be a good idea to think up ways to educate developers in the
free software community about the possible pitfalls of the GPL?

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878