Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:12:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www3.sco.com/Company/Announce/p081996e.htm

> Need I remind you that Micro$oft owns 15% of SCO?
>
> I'd say that it's pretty clear that they're just trying to make SCO a
> household UNIX.  And remember, lots of management droids shudder in
> fear at the concept of free software, so will likely look more towards
> SCO than FreeBSD, Linux, Hurd, or other truely free OS's.

Possibly.  On the other hand, FreeBSD et al have not done much to
advertise themselves to the unwashed masses either.  I realize that
FreeBSD Inc. is pretty much a shoestring operation run by volunteers,
but it would help to have someone pushing it into the face of magazine
reviewers, etc.

Magazine reviews, especially positive ones, make for excellent
advertising.  Magazine articles from the user community never hurt,
either.  Credits from authors of computer books, such as W. Richard
Stevens' mention in _TCP/IP Illustrated_, vol 3., etc. ad nauseum.
People can't "buy" what they don't know exists, even if it costs them
little or nothing.  ;^)

At my "day" job, we do embedded programming for M68K targets running
VxWorks.  We use HP 9000/712 workstations and GNU tools, including
gcc/g++, gdb, emacs, and cvs.  We needed the ability to take our
development system on the road, so I and a co-worker ported the
in-house development tools to FreeBSD.  We obtained a pair of Gateway
Solo pentium laptops, loaded FreeBSD and the development system on
them, and now our engineers are able to carry our entire development
environment "into the field." We are even able to do remote CVS updates
and commits across PPP links.  I've been planning on writing an article
about this for _Embedded Systems_ magazine, as soon as I dig out from
my current stack of work work, contract work, and yard work.  It helps
that I'm married to a very talented technical writer.  ;^)

Wes Peters                 Softweyr LLC                 softweyr@xmission.com