Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 19:35:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        reichert@numachi.com
Cc:        gnb@itga.com.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Just got 2 different 4.5 disks......

In message: <20020303211832.I153@numachi.com>
            Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> writes:
: Yeah, I had the same deal happen, and was gonna make phone call
: tomorrow to track this down.  What's the word on who's 'officially'
: running this distribution?
:
: The Wind River CDs seem to have a more 'canonical' body of packaging,
: right down to the US priority mail, rather than UPS for a carrier...

In the beginning there was Walnut Creek CDROM.  They did good things
for FreeBSD, so the project recommended that everyone get
subscriptions from them.  BSDi bought them.  They were likewise doing
good things and funding lots of development.  BSDi then sold the
FreeBSD business to Wind River.  Wind River continued the goodness for
a while.  Then Wind River announced they were exiting the business and
laid off a bunch of people (but not all of the FreeBSD staff).  Daemon
news took up the slack and offered the cds.  Wind River then actually
sold the business back to the folks that did Walnut Creek CDROM and
are now doing freebsd mall.  The results are that there are two people
doing FreeBSD CDROMs.

I'll not comment over which one is better for the FreeBSD community,
because I don't have an opinion on that.

Warner