Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 00:00:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: newfs: useless/bogus check if new last block can be accessed?

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Juli Mallett wrote:

> * Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie> [ Date: 2003-05-10 ]
>
> > What is using libufs's bwrite()? Would it be better to just make
> > errors fatal for now so that a useful diagnostic can be printed?
>
> Everything using libufs*.  That means every fs tool

A quick grep showed badsect, dumpfs, newfs and tunefs use libufs - of
course, as you already mentioned, dumpfs doesn't do writes.

> except for the growfs and related tools, which I seem to recall rely on
> a lot of voodoo.

BTW, growfs needs some fixes, too (bin/51138).

> clri does in my tree, but I don't know if I ever merged it back in.

No, clri ist currently not on the list.

> But really you want something like ufserr() from other libufs
> consumers, except without lossage of errno (some or all may do
> this, I forget).

You mean ufserr() as currently in dumpfs?

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/