Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:35:39 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: request: LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT

On 17/11/09 9:14 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
>> Is it possible that this flag be set to YES in the FreeBSD 8.0 branch
>> before final release?
>
> Certainly not. The release is around the corner.

In that case, there are some other options:

1. Build the binaries that freebsd-update uses with this flag set. That isn't the same thing as changing the flag in the ISOs of the official FreeBSD 8.0 release.

2. Build logic into freebsd-update which detects that the user has LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT in src.conf, or else that it is trying to replace a working /boot/loader with a 'defective' version without ZFS capability.  I had previously thought freebsd-update took hashes of all system files so it knew which ones had changed and what to warn the user about, but I must have misunderstood that.

3. Deprecate freebsd-update as the recommended way to upgrade FreeBSD systems and put source updates back to the top recommended choices. I've noticed that all recent release notices recommend freebsd-update.

Possibly freebsd-update should be maintained as part of the release process and not by someone at arm's length to the re team. In recent times it has broken rebooting after an update twice: once because of the above issue, and earlier when updating from 7.2 to 8.0-beta it was impossible to install a new kernel, reboot and then install world. This wasn't a freebsd-update specific issue (there is an incompatibility between new ZFS kernel modules and old userland tools), but it will bite everyone using freebsd-update and ZFS.

I suggest there will be a fair few unhappy people when 8.0 is released and people using ZFS for system files upgrade from 7.x. Then when 8.1 whips around and people who followed instructions to boot from ZFS without a UFS partition, will suffer a second round of pain.

Ari Maniatis

--
ish