Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2020 21:16:00 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn

Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 12:16, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
> > technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern Linux?
>=20
> Sorry, but I find this sort of a chalk vs cheese kind of comparison.

Of course not. When deciding what to use in the next project, you have
to advocate your choice in front of your superiors and colleagues, and
your presentation should be well backed up with technical arguments.=20

When I advocate FreeBSD over Windows, for example, there are some very
clear and easily defendable technical and economical advantages (open
source, absence of viruses, BSD license - just to name a few). It is not
so easy with FreeBSD vs Linux.

For example, the absence of Docker (or analogous technology) for FreeBSD
is a huge disadvantage. We need to name really superiour features to
make up for this shortage.

> You start making comparisons, then you have to list all possible Linux
> distros, etc, you know the drill.

In fact, there is quite a limited number of Linux distros to be
considered for use in production, maybe 3-4, and they are not that
different in their capabilities. Other distros are too exotic or geeky.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--bp/iNruPH9dso1Pn