Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:19:55 -0500
From:      Chris Ruiz <chris@young-alumni.com>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any working ichsmb(4) platforms out there?

On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> Does anyone have ichsmb(4) actually seeing SMBus devices?
> e.g. you run "smbmsg -p" on your FreeBSD-STABLE system and see
> something.
>
> I just tried it again on my IBM ThinkPad T43 and saw nothing, all I
> get is:
>   ichsmb0: device timeout, status=0x41
> ...in dmesg.
>
> cheers
> BMS

BMS,

I have an ICH9 system and get the following:

First, my kernel:
FreeBSD attack.young-alumni.com 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE
#0: Sat Sep  6 08:33:04 CDT 2008     root@:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/
ATTACK  amd64

Dmesg:
ichsmb0: <SMBus controller> port 0x3000-0x301f mem
0xe0427000-0xe04270ff irq 18
at device 31.3 on pci0
ichsmb0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
ichsmb0: [ITHREAD]
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0

Error:
attack:~ root# smbmsg -p
smbmsg: Cannot open /dev/smb0: No such file or directory

Hope this helps,

Chris Ruiz