Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:11:14 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cups and a Brother HL-L2340DW

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 14:49:01 +0200
Tijl Coosemans <tijl@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:38:05 -0700 "Russell L. Carter"
> <rcarter@pinyon.org> wrote:
> > So this printer is the current wirecutter.com recommendation
> > for best cheap laser printer.  After introducing it to dhcpd
> > so that the IP address is fixed, I was ready to introduce it
> > to cups.
> >
> > Add Printer -> Discovered Network Printers
> >              -> select Brother HL-L2340D series...
> >
> > (next screen) Connection: 	lpd://BRWD80F9967A5AB/BINARY_P1
> >
> > (hit Continue)
> >
> > Or Provide a PPD file: Browse... brother-HLL2340D-cups-en.ppd
> > 	    -> Add Printer
> >
> > -> Set Default Options
> >
> > Which gives me, after some screen changes:
> >
> > Brother_HL-L2340D_series (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
> > Location:
> > Driver:	Brother HL-L2340D for CUPS (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
> > Connection:	lpd://BRWD80F9967A5AB/BINARY_P1
> > Defaults:	job-sheets={job_sheets_default} media=iso_a4_210x297mm
> > sides=one-sided
> >
> > I hit ^P, the print dialog comes up, I select this printer, and all
> > looks good, except if I go look at jobs, I see:
> >
> > ID	Name	User	Size	Pages	State
> > Control Brother_HL-L2340D_series-124  	Unknown
> > Withheld  	1k  	Unknown canceled at
> > Fri Jul 14 18:08:00 2017
> >
> > What gives?
> >
> > I am on the verge of installing linux on a box to deal with this.
>
> I suspect you need to use the official Linux driver from Brother.  It
> should be possible to get this working on FreeBSD using Linux emulation
> but it'll require some tinkering.

	The easiest way to do it is to set up a Centos 6 userland in a jail
(the linux emulation is good enough for that) - use a prebuilt image the
install is possible but fiddly. Then just install CUPs and the Brother
drivers and away you go. I have my Brother DCP6690CW A3 inkjet running this
way.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>