Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:24:11 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t

> At 10:21 AM 8/13/98 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> >Read the article:
> >
> >  Certainly by 2038, Unix 'time_t' will be 64 bits or more,
> >  assuming Unix survives in some form," said Dennis Ritchie,
> >  co-author of the Unix operating system.
> >
> >If you have nothing else to worry about for the next 40 years, I'm sure
> >we can find you something more useful to do.  8)
>
> I'd kind of like to do financial projections for my retirement and not
> have the calculations blow up, as they do now.

time_t is a format for the system current time.  As such, you're abusing
it mightily if you expect it to be a general-purpose time value.

Might I suggest that you should consider using something with perhaps a
slightly reduced precision, like anyone else that does work involving
longer timeframes?

time_t is not a hammer.