Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 06:01:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      bsd@xtremedev.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-DP2 ACLs on UFS2

Hey all,

I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 to get myself familiar with the
upcoming ACLs present in -CURRENT before the release itself. I've setup a
test machine with one 45gb ide drive with one slice and two partitions (/
and swap) and installed FreeBSD on it.

dumpfs / shows that root is UFS2, and from reading
/usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/README.acls, I don't need to do the extattrctl
initattr commands since ufs2 supports EA/ACLs natively. Additionally, I
booted to single user mode and enabled ACLS on / by doing a tunefs -a
enable /dev/ad0s1a. I proceeded to try getfacl and setfacl.

getfacl returned the default settings (just stat() in ACL form according
to Robert Watson), however, no matter what I tried all I could get with
setfacl -m g:mail:rwx testfile was:

setfacl: acl_get_file() failed: Operation not supported

I thought perhaps the tunefs on the ro mount of / did not take. So instead
I used the mount time flag in fstab:

/dev/ad0s1a   /   ufs   rw,acls   1  1

I rebooted, and tried again. Yet I still get the same error message with
setfacl. At this point I'm stuck. Is it because I only have / and not /
and /usr? Does UFS2 with EA/ACLs not work on boot partitions? Or did I
misunderstand something when trying to setup ACLs in -CURRENT? Any advice
right now would be welcomed. Thanks.