Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 12:33:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net, terry@cs.weber.edu
Subject:   Re: Install issues (was: State of the union speech

>Oddly, I haven't had any bites on my last post about this, so I'll ask
>again : I have code that creates a large contiguous slab of sectors in
>an MSDOS filesystem, and hides them under a file.  I've explored

I'm not too keen on this, because of coherency issues (what happens if
the file is deleted while it is in use as a partition or after pointers
to it are set up) and lack of generality (it would be better to optimize
the vn driver for contiguous files; it should be possible to avoid going
through the file system except for initialization).

>what I can of the diskslice code and the like, but I'm at a loss as to
>how to redirect a slice to point at this slab, short of rewriting
>the partition table (which would be Bad) or writing a variant on the
>vnode driver (which would defeat the whole purpose).

To test it you could create a slice inside the DOS slice containing the
file.  I think fdisk allows bogus things like that.  Not recommended.

>This is basically a ready-to-go partition, it just needs water, so to speak.

The vn driver method already has water :-).  Try your file that hides
the sectors as a vn device.  It can't hurt to have the sectors contiguous
and performance might be reasonable.  I don't think it would be - msdosfs
performance is abysmal and revision 1.16 of vn.c seems to have introduced
doing read/write through the file system except for paging.

Bruce