Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:26:22 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software RAID and vinum

> I searched the mailing list archive.  I am not sure whether Vinum has
> solved the problem of atomic writes in a stripe to both the data fragment
> and parity fragment (RAID 5). In the case of a crash, you have no idea of
> where the writes have finished (even worse, a fragment may contain
> several sectors).

This problem can't be solved with software-only RAID, and no (sensible)
software RAID implementation attempts to deal with it.  Software RAID
reliability is predicated on the correct functioning of the system; it's
there to provide fault tolerance for the high-failure-rate hardware (eg.
disks).

> If this problem is not easily solved in software, does it mean that only
> hardware RAID can guarantee availability of data and software RAID can
> only be used to increase performance?  How about the Linux software RAID
> support?

Typically you work around this by using a hardware RAID adapter with
battery-backed memory; you need nonvolatile storage to achieve the
results you're looking for.