Date:      Tue, 13 May 2014 16:33:12 -0400
From:      Winston Smith <smith.winston.101@gmail.com>
To:        "Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas)" <madis555@hot.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch to make BBB properly boot from eMMC every time

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Sulev-Madis Silber (ketas)
<madis555@hot.ee> wrote:
> That's bit different issue.

I can't help but think the hang here is related, particularly to the
subtle timing issues that are plaguing the 4 vs 8 bit detection.
Seems like there's just something not right in the eMMC
detection/startup?  Maybe the [faster] 1GHZ CPU is further throwing
off the timing.

> I would actually want to have 1GHz WITH eMMC... now it's impossible.
> First that, then maybe variable freq later (if possible). I certainly
> have usage for such speeds somewhere.

Why is it impossible?  It seems to work, just not reliably!

Seems silly to have the 1GHZ BBB running at only 550Mhz.

> But right now BBB is so stable. I would put snapshot of CURRENT to
> production right now. I now also have taken all debugging options out. I
> didn't realize how SLOW things are with WITNESS & others on.
> Maybe when I get more than one copy of same HW, I could run some of them
> with WITNESS on too (would it actually give me some useful data I could
> report back?)

I'm in the same boat.  However, Ian is in the process of backporting
the CURRENT arm updates to STABLE.  If I can get 1GHZ working with
10-STABLE, then I'll be very happy.

WITNESS is an easy one, create a config like this:

ident   MYCONF

include BEAGLEBONE
nooptions WITNESS

And build with it (set KERNCONF if you're using crotchet-freebsd) and
you'll get a WITNESS-free kernel.