Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 19:17:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Implementing a DEVFS daemon

> Consider having a daemon that saves the state of a particular /devfs
> tree.  This daemon will wake up every now and again and read the
> /devfs tree.  When it notices changes, it will record them in its
> database.  This database will be in text format for easy editing.

Any chance that DEVFS could throw a symbol in /proc (or even in /dev) so
that it could through a 'select()' event to the daemon to cause it to
re-read the /devfs?  (Just a nit).  This is how the APM system works,
and it keeps the daemon from having to continually poll the kernel and
burn up CPU cycles for no good reason.

Otherwise, since it seems to be giving me what I believe the userbase
desires (persistence w/out requiring learning 'Yet-Another FreeBSD
centric configuration') it sounds good.

Nate