Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:52:26 +0800
From:      Kevin Leung <xhidem@yahoo.com.hk>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Curious...how often do *you* portupgrade(1) ?

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Running a desktop box with a dialup PPP connection
> to the 'Net, my "portupgrade -aRr" tends to take a
> couple of days ....

I think just `portupgrade -aR` is ok, since all libraries should remain
binary compatible. If not, they increase their major version number. And
most of the time, you will find a port that is for the binary
incompatible library. Eg gtk12, gtk20. That save you so much time when
trying to upgrade.

I usually portupgrade every three or four days.