Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 13:02:09 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Michael A. Smith" <michael_smith@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install problem follow-up

On 23 May 99, at 20:43, Michael A. Smith wrote:

> [RECAP: 3.1-STABLE install on 486 hangs at boot on "ep0 not found at
> 0x300"]
>
> The 3.1 Errata tells me:
> <SNIP>
> o  Kernel change information is not saved in the new kernel, even
>    though this is claimed to work in the docs.
>
> Fix: The change information is being written out, in fact, but to the
>      wrong location.  move /kernel.config to /boot/kernel.conf (if it
>      exists, otherwise there were no changes to save) and add the
>      following lines to /boot/loader.rc:
>
>         load /kernel
>         load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
>         autoboot 5
>
>      This will cause the kernel change information to be read in and
>      used properly (and you just learned a little about the new 3-stage
>      loader in the process, so the exercise wasn't a total loss).
> </SNIP>
>
> This certainly may be what's wrong with my system, but if I can't boot it
> up, how do I make these changes?? I've tried the fixit shell & CD-ROM live
> filesystem, but am runing into difficulties.

There are two ways that I would try.  I know the first will work.  I've
never tried the second.

1 - boot from floppies so you can do the visual configuration again.  That
will get you running and you can do the above changes.

2 - boot into single user mode, issue a "mount /" and make the changes,
then reboot again.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/