Date:      01 Aug 2005 15:13:22 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Jerry Tarwid" <jtarwid@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I get rid of booteasy??? & re-install windows xp mbr using ntfs???

"Jerry Tarwid" <jtarwid@wi.rr.com> writes:

> I am dual booting with Winblows XP and FreeBSD. I installed the FreeBSD Boot manager so I can dual boot. I now want to remove it! I have freaking scoured the $@!#$! net & still have NOT found an answer??? Anyone???? I'm using an NTFS volume so fdisk/mbr doesn't work and neither does booting to an xp cd recovery console and using fixboot or fixmbr. The $#!@#$ booteasy boot manager still leaves something in the mbr....nothing works! I cannot believe that I am the only human being on the planet that has encountered this problem! A LITTLE HELP???

If you still have FreeBSD installed, you can use "boot0cfg -b
/boot/mbr <devicename>" to install a "standard" MBR onto the disk.  If
you don't have FreeBSD installed, the FreeBSD install disks have the
ability to write a standard MBR as well, without needing to do a whole
FreeBSD install.  I don't recall exactly, but the general idea is to
get into the slicing utility by choosing "configure" inside of the
installer, and then you just proceed through the menus until you come
to a menu titled "Install Boot Manager".

If you *really* insist on doing it from inside of Windows, then I'm
sorry; you may have to ask in a Windows forum of some sort.  FreeBSD
folks don't necessarily know much about Windows.

Good luck.